Hospital Indemnity Insurance Support
Hospital indemnity insurance is designed to help pay for medical expenses related to inpatient treatment. Learn more about AF™ Limited Benefit Hospital Indemnity Insurance with the frequently asked questions and resources below.
Hospital Indemnity Insurance FAQs
Hospital indemnity insurance is a supplemental medical product. It’s designed to provide benefits that cover certain out-of-pocket medical expenses related to treatment received in a hospital. Hospital indemnity insurance also includes an accident benefit that pays toward eligible accident-related medical expenses.
No. Gap insurance pays toward the deductible, co-insurance, or other out-of-pocket expenses related to inpatient confinement or treatment. A hospital indemnity plan is designed to offer benefits per day spent receiving inpatient treatment.
Your benefit is paid directly to you, so you may apply the money toward your medical costs or daily living expenses as needed.
The fastest way to file a hospital indemnity insurance claim is through your online account or on our mobile app, AFmobile®.
For more details on how to file a claim, visit the hospital indemnity insurance claim page.
When filing a hospital indemnity insurance claim, you will need to provide the following documentation:
- Statement of Insured, completed via online claim filing or paper claim form
- Itemized Bills with diagnoses for all inpatient confinement, imaging, and advanced studies claims
- Medical Records or Office Notes for treatment related to critical illness or accident claims
We may also need:
- Authorization to Disclose Information Including PHI: This form gives us authorization to get records from your medical provider(s) and others who may hold information necessary for us to review your claim. Upload the form via your online account, or mail or fax it.
Claims are generally processed within 5-7 business days.
- Log in to your online account
- Click on the Claims tab
- From the AFmobile dashboard, scroll down to Insurance Claims
- Choose either In Process or Processed
- When you file a claim, it will be located under In Process until it has been processed.
- Once your claim is processed, it will be located under Processed
For eligible claims, you will receive a benefit for each day spent in the hospital as long as your stay was at least 18 hours.
Accidents happen. AF Hospital Assist™ includes additional benefits for treatment related to an accident. For example, eligible claims may include ER and surgery benefits.
Yes. Eligible employees and dependents covered under their employer’s or spouse’s major medical or comprehensive medical policies are eligible for Hospital Indemnity Insurance.
Pre-existing conditions will NOT be covered for the first 12 months unless state deviations apply. Log in to your online account to view your policy details.