Hospital Indemnity Insurance Support
Frequently Asked Questions
AF™ Limited Benefit Hospital Indemnity Insurance, or AF Hospital Assist™, is a supplemental medical product designed to provide benefits that cover certain out-of-pocket medical expenses related to treatment received in a hospital. The specific benefit amounts are not based on out-of-pocket expenses but rather on the number of days treatment lasts and plan level.
Hospital indemnity insurance also helps cover hospital stays for sickness or accidents and has treatment benefits for injuries incurred due to a covered accident.
Yes. This plan is HSA-qualified, allowing you to get the tax benefit and potential savings from an HSA while helping pay for large, out-of-pocket expenses.
No. Hospital indemnity insurance is designed to offer benefits per day spent receiving inpatient or outpatient treatment while gap insurance pays toward the deductible, co-insurance, or other out-of-pocket expenses related to inpatient confinement or treatment. Hospital indemnity insurance is compatible with an HSA, but doesn’t coordinate with a major medical plan. Gap insurance coordinates with most major medical insurance plans, but not a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) or a Health Savings Account (HSA).
To learn more about the differences between gap and hospital indemnity insurance, read this blog
Benefits are paid directly to you, so you may use the money toward medical costs or daily living expenses as needed.
The fastest way to file a hospital indemnity insurance claim is through your online account or our mobile app, AFmobile®.
- Log in to your online account
- Click the File a Claim button
- Select Insurance Claim
- Upload the requested documentation and click the Upload File button
- Click the Next button and enter the remaining information
- Check the acknowledgment box and click the Submit button
- Touch the File a Claim button on the AFmobile dashboard
- Select the policy you are filing a claim and touch the Choose Files button
- Either snap a photo of your documentation and touch the Attach Documents button or upload it from your mobile device and hit Next
- Follow the prompts and fill out the required information
- Check the acknowledgment box and click on the Submit button
- Fax or Mail
- Download and complete a hospital indemnity claim form here. Please note, paper claim filing is not the fastest option.
You can download and print a paper claim form here. Please note, paper claim filing is not the fastest option. File a claim online or through AFmobile to get your money faster.
When filing a hospital indemnity insurance claim, you will need to provide the following documentation:
- Statement of Insured, completed via online claim filing or paper claim form
- Itemized Bills with diagnoses for all inpatient confinement, imaging, and advanced studies claims
- Medical Records or Office Notes for treatment related to critical illness or accident claims
We may also need:
- Authorization to Disclose Information Including PHI: This form gives us authorization to get records from your medical provider(s) and others who may hold information necessary for us to review your claim. Upload the form via your online account, or mail or fax it.
Claims are generally processed within 5-7 business days after all required documentation is submitted.
The fastest way to check the status of a claim is through your online account, or on our mobile app, AFmobile®.
- Log in to your online account
- Click on the Claims tab
- From the AFmobile dashboard, scroll down to Insurance Claims
- Choose either In Process or Processed
- When you file a claim, it will be located under In Process until it has been processed.
- Once your claim is processed, it will be located under Processed
For eligible claims, you will receive a benefit for each day spent in the hospital if your stay was at least 18 consecutive hours.
Our hospital indemnity insurance includes additional benefits for treatment by a physician in an emergency room, physician's office or urgent care due to a covered accident. For example, eligible claims may include ER and surgery benefits. Log in to view your policy details
Yes. Eligible employees and dependents covered under their employer’s or spouse’s major medical or comprehensive medical policies are eligible for hospital indemnity insurance.
Pre-existing conditions will not be covered for the first 12 months unless state deviations apply. Log in to your online account to view your policy details.
File a Hospital Indemnity Claim
The fastest way to file a hospital indemnity insurance claim is through your online account or our mobile app, AFmobile®. Download AFmobile from the App Store® or Google Play™.