Skip to main content

Healthcare Flexible Spending Account
Customer Support

If you’re looking for frequently asked questions, how-to videos, and tips for managing your Healthcare Flexible Spending Account, also known as an HCFSA or Healthcare FSA, you’ve come to the right place.

Healthcare FSA FAQs


Why do I have to submit receipts for every HCFSA claim?

The Internal Revenue Code (IRC) regulations have requirements stating that expenses must be substantiated using itemized receipts, third party statements, or an Explanation of Benefits. To comply with IRC guidelines, we request documentation of your expense to verify the eligibility of the purchase.

  1. Log in to your online account or AFmobile
  2. Select the Additional Documentation button
  3. Select either Reimbursement Account(s) or Insurance Claim
    • For Reimbursement Accounts, select the pending transaction and click Add Receipt to upload documentation.
    • For Insurance Claims, select the insurance policy from the dropdown, then upload your documentation.

Your documentation should include:

  • Itemized receipts for an expense
  • Original date of service
  • Description of service rendered or expense
  • Charges for the service or expense
  • Provider of the service or expense
  • Recipient of the service or expense

You will receive a request for documentation via mail if you used your Benefits Debit Card to make a Healthcare FSA purchase, or if you submitted an out of pocket reimbursement claim without a receipt. You also may receive this letter if the documentation you submitted wasn’t sufficient.

These letters are sent the day after a purchase is made or when the claim is reviewed and determined to be missing documentation or containing insufficient information. So, when receiving this letter, you may have already submitted the necessary documents.

You will receive this letter if your Benefits Debit Card was used for an expense incurred outside the plan year, an ineligible expense, or if the documentation you submitted was insufficient.

When the documentation cannot be provided or the expense is ineligible, you have three options:

  • Submit a different itemized receipt to offset the transaction amount.
  • Contact American Fidelity to make a credit card payment.
  • Submit a check in the amount of the transaction to be applied to your Healthcare FSA account.

If you already have an American Fidelity online account, simply log in to your account to view your HCFSA information.

If you have not created an account, click here to register now. Then, follow the prompts to complete the registration process. You will use this same registration information on the mobile app, AFmobile®.

The 2020 maximum allowed by law to contribute pre-tax into this account is $2,750 per plan year. Please note, this amount may be further limited by your employer.

HCFSAs are “use or lose” accounts. This means, at the end of your plan year, the funds remaining in your account may be forfeited and returned to your employer's plan. Learn what employers can do with unused HCFSA funds 

If your employer has elected a carryover provision, you may be able to carry over up to $550 of unused HCFSA contributions to the next plan year.

If your employer has elected a grace period, you will have 2.5 months following the end of your plan year to incur HCFSA claims for the previous plan year’s account balance.

Your plan also includes a runoff period that allows you to file claims for the previous plan year’s expenses. However, these expenses must have been incurred during the plan year or grace period (if applicable).

Log in to your online account to view your plan dates or talk to your employer to discuss specifics.

Read Carryovers, grace periods, and runoff periods - what are the differences? 

Only an individual who is defined by the Internal Revenue Code as a spouse, “qualifying child,” “adult child,” or “qualifying relative” of the account holder can be considered a qualifying dependent for reimbursement of medical expenses. 

There are several differences between these accounts. For example, unlike an HCFSA, HRAs are funded solely by your employer. And unlike an HCFSA, the funds in an HSA roll over from year to year.

Read FSAs, HSAs, and HRAs - What You Need to Know 

An LPFSA is typically reserved for paying specific HSA-compatible medical expenses—like dental and vision costs—while HCFSAs can be used for a wide range of eligible medical expenses.

Additionally, LPFSAs may be paired with a Health Savings Account (HSA), while an HCFSA may not. Generally, you may not have an HCFSA and LPFSA at the same time.

Learn more about LPFSAs 

An HCFSA covers eligible medical expenses that you would otherwise pay for out of pocket. A DCA covers employment-related expenses for dependent care. These expenses must be services that allow you to go to work, and typically include day care and elder care for tax dependents.

Learn more about DCAs 

No. Contributed funds must remain in their designated account.

Your HCFSA will cover a variety of eligible medical expenses—see a substantial list of eligible HCFSA expenses.

For convenient online shopping, you may also purchase eligible products through the FSA Store.

Normally, you can only elect contributions into your HCFSA during a yearly open enrollment period, but there are exceptions. Qualifying life events include:

  • Status changes
    • Change in marital status
    • Birth of a child
    • Adopting or placing a child for adoption
    • Change in employment status that impacts plan participation status 
  • Certain judgments, decrees, or orders
  • Loss of entitlement to Medicare or Medicaid

Election changes may only be made if the change is consistent with and on account of the qualifying life event. Some employers’ plans do not permit HCFSA election changes. Your employer determines if you can make mid-plan year election changes. You should contact your employer if you've experienced a qualifying event and wish to make a change.

A Benefits Debit Card allows you to pay for eligible expenses, such as prescriptions and copayments. If your employer has elected to provide a Benefits Debit Card, you may use this card instead of paying out of pocket.

Please note – if you use your Benefits Debit Card to pay for eligible medical expenses, you must submit a receipt* for every transaction.

If you have a Benefits Debit Card, you may use it at most health care facilities, including hospitals, physician’s, dental, and vision offices.

Additionally, many merchants also accept the card. To view a list of participating stores, visit Sigis Store Locator.

Log in to your online account and select Access My Reimbursement Account. Then, hover over your name on the top right and click Debit Card(s). Click Report Lost or Stolen next to the appropriate card. Once complete, you will have the option to order an additional card.

Report a Card Lost/Stolen

If you received a notification or letter in the mail requesting documentation, but failed to provide it to American Fidelity, your Benefits Debit Card will be temporarily blocked.

Learn How to Unblock Your Card 

Pending transactions cannot be auto adjudicated and will need to be substantiated by providing sufficient documentation. You will receive a documentation request letter for these transactions. Learn how to submit documentation.

To submit documentation:

 Log in to your online account or AFmobile

  • Select the Additional Documentation button
  • Select Reimbursement Account(s)
  • Select the pending transaction and click Add Receipt to upload documentation

If you have additional debit card users, you’ll need to request cards for them through your online account. Here’s how:

  • Log in to your online account.
  • Select the Access My Reimbursement Account button.
  • Hover over your username the right side of the navigation bar and select Profile.
  • At the bottom of this screen, select Add Family Member.
  • When adding a family member, the dependent or spouse’s Dependent ID is their Social Security number.
  • In the Add Family Member window, select the box to Issue Dependent Card.
  • When complete, click Next and Save.

The amounts carried over into the new plan year, even though you did not make a new election. You may use your card during the year to pay for eligible expenses.

No, you may not use your card during the Run-Off Period. You may submit eligible claims incurred during the previous plan year via the mobile app, our website, or via mail or fax.

Yes, you may continue to use your card during the 2 ½ month Grace Period. After the Grace Period is over, your card will be disabled.

New charges on the debit card will pull from the plan year based the date of swipe.  If you have expenses that were incurred in the previous plan year and are trying to use funds from the previous plan year during the Run-Off Period, please submit manual claims.

Because you are still able to submit claims during your Run-Off Period that were incurred during your previous plan year, any new transactions from the debit card will use amounts from your new plan year.  Please file manual claims and do not use the debit card if you are trying to use up previous year’s funds.  Once the Run-Off Period is over, if  there are still funds left in your account, they will carry over into the new plan year, up to $550, and the debit card will be able to be used.

The fastest way to file a reimbursement claim is through your online account, or on our mobile app, AFmobile.

  • Online
    1. Log in to your online account
    2. Click on the File a Claim button
    3. Select Reimbursement Account(s)
    4. Complete the claim form
    5. Click the Submit button
  • AFmobile
    1. Touch the Submit Reimbursement button on the AFmobile dashboard
    2. Complete the Claim Form
    3. Click the Submit button
  • Fax or Mail
    1. Download and complete a Healthcare FSA and HRA Reimbursement Claim Form and include all applicable receipts and documentation. Please note, paper claim filing is not the fastest option. File a claim online or through AFmobile to get your money faster.

Eligible expenses generally must have been incurred during the current plan year. Log in to your online account or check with your employer for specific rules applicable to your plan.

Once your claim and all required documentation have been received, the turnaround time for claims processing is generally 5-7 business days.

The fastest way to receive your reimbursement is through direct deposit. Or, you may also elect to receive a mailed check.

Enroll in direct deposit online by logging in to your online account, and select Manage My Reimbursement Account. Hover over your name to access your Profilethen click the Edit button above Reimbursement Method.

You may view your account information at any time by logging in to your online account. Select your account to review your balance and transaction history.

You can also view your account information from our app, AFmobile. You will be able to view your account balance from the dashboard, or, click on your reimbursement account to view a complete transaction history. 

If your transaction is marked resolved, you’ve provided eligible documentation or made an out-of-pocket payment. No additional action is needed on resolved transactions.

Shop for Eligible Items on the FSA Store

You may purchase FSA-eligible items online at the FSA Store. Browse medical supplies, over-the-counter medication, prescriptions, and more.

How-To Videos

Recent FSA Articles:


For additional assistance or to file an HCFSA claim, please log in to your account.

American Fidelity Assurance Company