Scam: Phone calls, sweepstakes notices and checks that appear to be from American Fidelity Assurance Company (AFA). AFA has learned that numerous individuals are receiving:
Scam phone calls from one or more individuals:
- That claim to be from the Federal Trade Commission or other legitimate entity.
- That informs recipients that they have won a prize from a Charitable Foundation, which is usually legitimate as well. American Fidelity is mentioned in this verbal exchange.
- From the Consumer and Merchandise Reward Promotions International, Inc.
- Or from the Consumer Protection Dept
- That inform the recipient that they are the winner of a drawing in a sweepstakes or promotional draw
- Lists numerous known retail stores
AFA Response: American Fidelity Assurance Company is not associated with any of these individuals who are responsible for these phone calls, letters and/or checks.
AFA does not:
- Award Prizes - to random individuals, as our business is to, provide benefits and services to our Customers
- Issue Prize Checks - that are sent with the prize-winner notifications. The individuals are creating fraudulent and bogus checks with American Fidelity Assurance Company as the Payor
If you receive a:
- Call - do not follow directions from individuals who ask for personal information
- Check - do not attempt to cash this check as it is counterfeit
We are reporting this matter to the appropriate authorities. If you have received a phone call or a letter and/or check, please contact The Special Investigation Unit using one or more of the following methods:
- Completing the SIU Form
- Faxing a copy of these documents to 405-416-7973. We will provide them to authorities.
- Leave a message on our Hotline at 1-800-TIP-OFFS
- If urgent, you may speak with a member of the SIU by calling 1-800-654-8489 ext. 5296