If you have questions about the recent privacy notice that was mailed, the correct telephone number to contact us is 1-866-554-4722.
Information We Collect
We collect and maintain information about you so that we can provide you with the insurance coverage and other products and services that you have requested and to protect, service and administer your records, accounts and funds. We may also use your information to help design new or improved products and services. Most importantly, any information that you may agree to provide helps us better understand your financial and insurance needs so we can continue to provide you high quality products and services.
We require you to share your personal information with us for some of our online activities. These activities include accessing your policies online, applying for products or services and asking us questions. Personal information is any information that identities you and describes your relationship with American Fidelity. Some examples of the personal information that American Fidelity may collect include information:
- You give us, such as: name, address, age, marital status, Social Security number, annual income, and other financial information. This includes information supplied on an application or to an insurance agent.
- About your business with us or others. This information is about other products or services you own, etc. It is provided in response to a written request.
- Given by your employer or group plan sponsor for any group product you may have. It is provided in writing or electronically through a secure process.
- From consumer reporting agencies, such as: credit relationships and history. It is given upon our written request. It includes information that an agency already has on file.
- From sources outside American Fidelity, such as: medical records; motor vehicle reports, etc. It is provided to us upon our written request. The medical information may be provided by a medical provider you have named, or from the Medical Information Bureau (MIB).
- From visitors to American Fidelity Nonpublic Online Service Center Website. This is secure data you enter while visiting the website.
- From a report prepared by an insurance-support group that may be kept by us. It may be disclosed to other persons as permitted by law.
If you apply for a product or service, we may collect information from your consumer reports, such as your credit report or motor vehicle report. We may also need to collect your medical information. But we won't use or share your medical information for marketing purposes.
How We Protect Information About You
We maintain appropriate physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to maintain the confidentiality and security of your personal information. We restrict access to personal information about you to those employees who have a need to know that information to provide products or services to you. Physical and electronic files are kept in secure areas. We educate our employees about the importance of confidentiality and customer privacy. We also enforce employee privacy responsibilities. Our handling and protection of your personal information is governed by a range of state and federal laws, rules and regulations. Information you may consent to provide using the Internet is afforded the same protection as it would be if you provided it in writing, by phone or in conversation with one of our representatives. We collect, retain and share your personal information only for particular business-related purposes and only as authorized by state and federal law.
What do you track and record?
You are not required to provide personal information or reveal your identity to browse our public website.
When visitors access our public pages our web servers log the IP address (the numeric Internet address of a computer). We do not link IP addresses to any personal information. IP address tracking allows us to track a visitor's session but the visitor remains anonymous. This provides information about parts of the site visited and the length of time spent there. We also record the information your browser provides about browser type and version. We use this information to administer our system and improve the information and services offered on our public website.
Information may also be collected by American Fidelity when you voluntarily provide it to us. For example, you may want to apply for certain American Fidelity insurance coverage or simply request additional information concerning one of our products or services. In this case, we collect only the information you voluntarily provide and use it only for the specific purpose it was provided.
As a service to our customers, we have developed a mobile application that may be used on smartphones and other electronic devices. To facilitate the processing of claims and reimbursement requests, we may collect personal information including name, contact information, account information, Social Security or policy number, and medical information that appears on any receipts or invoices that are submitted via the mobile application. Other personal information may also be requested if it is deemed necessary for processing requests made via the mobile application.
What about e-mail addresses?
We only capture the e-mail address of visitors to our public site who request information, select e-mail as the preferred response, and provide us an e-mail address. We do not use e-mail addresses provided in this manner for e-mail mass marketing.
Any information that we gather from our website or our mobile application will be afforded the same protection and treatment that we give other personal information you may provide to us by any means.
We will not knowingly allow any minor to register for services, attempt to purchase our products, or access any areas which require registration.
How can I contact American Fidelity?
You can contact us regarding privacy as follows:
American Fidelity's Privacy Advocate at 1-866-55-HIPAA (1-866-554-4722)
- To review your information, or to correct or change any information that we have on file, please contact us.
- By phone at 1-800-654-8489
- By mail at:
American Fidelity Assurance Company
PO Box 25523
Oklahoma City, OK 73125-0523
Download American Fidelity Assurance Company's HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices in Adobe PDF format.
© Copyright 2014 American Fidelity Assurance Company. All rights reserved.